You might have seen the best international weekly jackpots which range from $2 million all the way up into the hundreds of millions. These amazing draws take place just about every day of the week, giving you more than enough opportunities to win big. For online lottery players who are new to the world of lotteries and have ever wondered, “What are the biggest lottery jackpots in the world?" – we have you covered.
Largest lottery jackpots won in the world
It's a big world out there, and thankfully, it’s a world that’s full of lotteries. In fact, with lotteries in more than 100 countries, you’ll be hard pushed to find a country without one.
From the Mega Sena lottery in Brazil to the likes of the Powerball and Mega Millions in the United States of America, lotteries come in all shapes and sizes.
Jackpots generate excitement and inspire a life where all your dreams can come true. Let’s take a look at the biggest lottery jackpots won.
Top 10 Biggest Jackpots In The World
As you can see from the table above, the largest jackpots all came from two lotto games in America. So, where does leave the rest?
Biggest lottery jackpot in Europe
In this table, you see the largest lottery jackpots in Europe. Interestingly every single jackpot win was won by a single ticket, as opposed to the American lotto games above that had more than one winner on occasion.
*The SuperEnalotto recently broke its own record. Currently, this incredible Italian lotto game is sitting at a massive €244 million.
Largest jackpots in specific European lotteries
On 12 July 2011, the EuroMillions made history when the jackpot broke records soaring to a massive £161.7 million in GBP currency. A single ticket from the UK won the top prize causing a sensation and making sure the EuroMillions became even more popular with locals.
Just a year later the maximum jackpot cap of €190 million was reached and a single-ticket won on 10 August 2012 in the UK.
On 24 October 2014, it happened again. €190 million was won by a single-ticket – this time in Portugal.
€90.0 million is the maximum jackpot in the Eurojackpot lottery and it has paid out six times! €90.0 million (£65.5 million/US$103.0 million) was the largest jackpot and a single-ticket in the pan-European EuroJackpot won on 15 May 2015 in the Czech Republic.
In 2010, the SuperEnalotto jackpot broke its own record when it finally rolled over to a massive €177.7 million. 70 syndicate players from Milan matched all six winning SuperEnalotto numbers on Saturday 30th October.
€45.4 million was the largest jackpot in Germany’s Lotto6aus49, won in December 2007 by three tickets.
Over the years we’ve seen some enormous jackpot wins. Let’s take a look at some of the luckiest lottery jackpot winners of the past couple of decades:
Big lottery winners in 2018
- August 2018 - €107 million EuroMillions jackpot won in Belgium.
- July 2018 - 90 million EuroJackpot. Two German winners.
- May 2018 - $142 million win on Mega Millions.
- March 2018 - $533 million Mega Millions won in New Jersey.
- February 2018 - €177 million won on EuroMillions.
- February 2018 - €90 million won on EuroJackpot.
- January 2018 - $559 million won on Powerball.
Big lottery winners in 2017
- 26 October 2017 - $105 million won on Mega Millions.
- 24 August 2017 - A Massachusetts hospital worker won the largest single-ticket prize in US lottery history, a $758.7m on Powerball.
- 11 August 2017 - $393 million won on Mega Millions. The winning numbers were 23, 33, 53, 56, 58 and the Mega Ball was 6. It was the first Mega Millions jackpot win since April 28. The lucky player won on a Quickpick purchased at Nick’s Barbecue in Palos Heights.
- 11 June 2017 - $477 million won on Powerball.
- 2 June 2017 - €153 million won on EuroMillions.
- 11 April 2017 - €83 million won on EuroMillions.
- 22 February 2017 - $435 million won on Powerball.
- 30 January 2017 - $188 million won on Mega Millions. The lucky ticket was purchased at the Primm Valley Lotto Store in San Bernardino County.
- 24 January 2017– Irish lottery player won $188 million on EuroMillions.
- 5 January 2017 - €90 million won on EuroJackpot. The winning tickets were sold in Holland, Germany and Denmark.
Big lottery winners in 2016
- 26 November 2016 - A group of 20 co-workers from the company, North American Stamping won split a $420 million US Powerball jackpot.
- 11 October 2016 - A Belgium player won €168 million on EuroMillions lottery. This was a record for Belgium.
- 30 July 2016 – A lucky New Hampshire player won $487 million on Powerball.
- 29 July 2016 – German lottery player won €84 million on EuroJackpot.
- 8 July 2016 - $540 million won on Mega Millions.
- 13 January 2016 - $1.5 billion US Powerball jackpot won by three lucky tickets. World record holder of the largest lottery jackpot.
- March 2016 - €76 million won on Eurojackpot. The winner lives in Germany.
- 18 March 2016 - €73 million won on EuroMillions.
- May 2016 - $40 million won on OZ Lotto.
Big lottery winners in 2015
- February 2015 - $654 million won on Powerball.
- October 2015 – A single ticket won €107 million on La Primitiva.
Lottery records all over the world
Lottery players all over the world love participating in the world’s biggest jackpots and when these jackpots soar to unprecedented jackpot amounts things get even more exciting.
Every year, though, there is one Raffle that gets the same attention as these lottery games and that’s the Spanish Christmas Raffle with a prize fund in excess of €2.3 billion!
The Spanish Christmas Raffle (El Sorteo Extraordinario de Navidad) is the biggest raffle in the world.
It is the biggest raffle in the world in terms of overall prize money payouts, hence the name 'El Gordo' lottery, which translates as the Fat One.
2011 was the first of the 'fattest' El Gordo in history 'El Gorda más Gorda de la Historia’ with the first prize at €4 million.
The tickets for this amazing raffle are pre-printed 5-digit numbers, with each set of numbers sold multiple times in several so-called series. For example, a ticket with the number “00001” was printed 180 times under different series numbers. This results in the jackpot always being split across multiple winners.
While the Spanish Christmas Raffle only takes place in December each year, online lottery players can bet their bottom dollar that there are huge jackpots available to play every week.
Play your favourite international lottery today and stand to win millions and change your life forever.
This website is owned and operated by Secure View Services Limited, of 3rd Floor, Methonis Tower 73, Archbishop Makarios Avenue, 2082, Nicosia, Cyprus using the Curacao gaming license (No: 8048/JAZ) of its holding company Play UK Internet N.V.
© 2019 Play UK Internet N.V