2018 has been an extraordinarily good year for lottery players across the globe. Not only did we see records being shattered but we also saw these legendary lotto games being won more often.
It’s been just over two months since we saw the Mega Millions lottery break its own jackpot record when it soared to an incredible $1.537 billion, which was won on October 23, 2018, by a single ticket sold in South Carolina.
This prize, the largest for a single ticket winning a lottery jackpot was the second-largest lottery pay-out, behind Powerball's $1.586 billion jackpot won on January 13, 2016, won by three tickets.
Well-known international lotto games like the Mega Millions, American Powerball, EuroMillions and plenty of other lotto games have all had improved secondary prizes and larger jackpots won over the past two years than any other time since the inception of these lotteries.
This is why…
With the global lottery market estimated to reach revenues of more than $10 billion by 2023, growing at a CAGR of around 8% during 2017-2023, it all comes down to simple economics and competing for lotto services.
Since there are more than 3,500 various lotto games from across the globe, everyone is working to provide offers varied from competing lotto websites, and this typically includes larger jackpots, more prize tiers and better odds at walking away with a cash prize.
Add in the fact that over the last couple of years, lotto games like the Mega Millions and the US Powerball have both made a number of rule changes which have significantly seen their jackpots soar to record highs, ticket sales worldwide have increased.
The most recent US Powerball change occurred on October 4, 2015. Three months later, the new format produced a $1.5 billion jackpot, double the previous record, after 20 consecutive rollovers.
- The white-ball pool increased from 59 to 69 while the Power ball pool decreased from 35 to 26.
- The prize for matching 4 balls increased from $10,000 to $50,000.
Mega Millions changes
Mega Millions has existed in some form since 1996, but this incredible American lotto game has only recently been shelling out massive jackpots. The reason for this is due to the fact that the lottery officials who run Mega Millions tweaked the rules and odds of the game last October. These changes increased rollovers, spurring their monster growth. Since the change, three of the six largest Mega Millions jackpots have been paid out.
These changes included:
- The minimum guaranteed Mega Millions jackpot increased from $15 million to a staggering $40 million.
- The prize in the third tier is also set to rise significantly, from $5,000 to $10,000.
- The 4+1 prize became $50,000.
- The prize in the second tier rose to $1m.
Oz Powerball changes
The Oz Powerball changed on April 13, 2018. These changes included:
- The pool of main numbers available to be drawn decreased from 40 to 35. That means you have 5 fewer numbers to match and more chances to win!
- There are now 7 main numbers and a Powerball per game line - this was previously 6 main numbers and the Powerball.
- The amount of prize divisions has increased from 8 divisions to 9 divisions.
- And in line with seeing bigger jackpots again, a $100,000,000 jackpot per year is 6-times more likely.
UK Lottery changes
- Players will no longer have to win the top jackpot prize to win £1,000,000 as a new fixed prize has been introduced for those who match five balls plus the bonus ball.
- The prizes for all non-jackpot tiers are now bigger and are fixed amounts. They are no longer based on a percentage of the total prize fund.
- Matching five balls without the bonus ball will see players win £1,750, while four balls has a prize of £140.
- Matching three balls will see players win £30, up from £25.
- The National Lottery has also changed the rules regarding rollovers. Under the old format, the jackpot was capped at £22 million, at which point it was allowed to roll-over one final time. Under the new rules, it will only be allowed to roll-over five times before it has to be won. If no player matches all six balls in the fifth and final rollover draw, the jackpot will "roll-down" and be split between all the players who have won cash prizes by matching three or more numbers.
- The fact that more and more people are purchasing lottery tickets online has without a doubt worked in their favour.
Online lottery websites becoming more prominent each year. The reason for this is that they give lottery enthusiasts the opportunity to purchase tickets for lotteries they could not play in their home country.
The increased penetration of smartphones has also given rise to a number of people playing the lottery on the phones. The ease of convenience it offers to an end-user within the comfort of their own space is the major reason behind the growth.
With all the top international lottery jackpots currently boasting jackpots well over the $200m jackpot figure – lottery players all over the world are making sure that they too buy a lottery ticket to give themselves the chance of winning a life-changing jackpot.
You game? We are - and we are ready and waiting for YOU to be crowned the next big lottery record-breaking jackpot winner!
Best of luck!
This website is owned and operated by Secure View Services Limited, of 3rd Floor, Methonis Tower 73, Archbishop Makarios Avenue, 2082, Nicosia, Cyprus using the Curacao gaming license (No: 8048/JAZ) of its holding company Play UK Internet N.V.
© 2018 Play UK Internet N.V